When Custody Agreements No Longer Work

Life changes after divorce or after unmarried parents split up. Sometimes, legal orders established at the outset no longer reflect the present-day reality. In such cases, it may be necessary to revisit the custody agreement and seek a modification.

At the Law Offices of Lisa Standish in Wexford, I handle a broad range of family law issues for clients in Allegheny County and throughout surrounding areas. Whether you are seeking a modification of custody orders or trying to prevent a modification of custody from happening, I can provide you with strong legal representation focused on protecting your parental rights and the best interests of your child.

Why Do Custody Orders Need To Be Changed?

There are a number of reasons it may be necessary to modify a custody and visitation order. Some of the most common factors that lead to modifications include:

  • Relocations: If a parent needs to move for a compelling reason, such as employment, the existing custody and visitation order may no longer be workable.
  • Changing needs of the child: As children grow, they take on new habits, hobbies and preferences. A child taking up a new sport or choosing to travel for a summer, for instance, may require a modification of legal orders or agreements.
  • Violation of a court order: If one parent refuses to abide by the custody agreement, the court may take away visitation or custody rights or modify the custody arrangement.
  • Unfit parenting: If a parent proves unfit, whether due to substance abuse, physical abuse, neglect or some other factor, it may be necessary for a court to intervene and change the custody order.

I have handled numerous child custody modification issues and can provide you with the experienced advice and representation you need as you contend with these sensitive issues.

Talk With An Experienced Lawyer

Are you seeking a modification of a custody order? Are you trying to stop a modification that will adversely affect you and your child? In either case, I am here for you. You can reach my Wexford law office online or by telephone at 412-944-2204.