Photo of Lisa Standish

Experienced And
Practical Legal Counsel

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce
  4.  » Jeff Bezos’ ex is happy about her divorce settlement

Jeff Bezos’ ex is happy about her divorce settlement

On Behalf of | Apr 25, 2019 | Divorce, Firm News |

Most Pittsburgh residents are not billionaires. However, a married couple in this city and other Pennsylvania regions may currently be preparing for a high-asset divorce. Those who are may want to review the recent Jeff Bezos case. Founder of and father of four, the richest man in the world has finally achieved what he and his ex, MacKenzie, say is a fair and agreeable settlement as they each leave the past behind and move on to new, separate lifestyles.

Pennsylvania is an equitable property state, meaning marital assets are not necessarily split 50/50 in divorce. A judge can make such decisions on a case-by-case basis. Any number of issues may influence his or her ruling, such as whether or not a couple has children, whether or not they signed a prenuptial agreement before their wedding day and whether or not both spouses earned full-time incomes during marriage.

As for the former Bezos couple, the agreement they signed has made MacKenzie the third richest woman in the world. She Tweeted that she was happy to hand over 75% of her Amazon shares to her ex and also her voting control in the company. While the agreement leaves her with just a 25% stake in the iconic online shopping enterprise, it means her net-worth is now approximately $35 billion.

No matter how simple or complex divorce proceedings might be, every spouse is entitled to his or her fair share of the pie. An experienced family law attorney can make sure he or she gets it. Any man or woman in need of legal guidance and support regarding Pennsylvania property division can request a consultation with an attorney who is well-versed in such laws.